Luciana Brasil is a partner at Branch MacMaster and the lead of its class action practice.
Born and raised in Sao Paulo, Brazil, Luciana has both civil and common law legal qualifications with a Bachelor of Civil Law degree obtained from the Mackenzie University in 1993 and a Bachelor of Law degree obtained in 1998 from the University of Victoria, in British Columbia.
Luciana’s practice is almost exclusively in the area of class actions, where she acts for both plaintiffs and for defendants. In this dual practice, Luciana understands the strategies employed by both sides, and has either worked with or against all leading Canadian class action counsel in national class actions.
Luciana has appeared before all levels of Court, including the Supreme Court of Canada. In addition, Luciana’s national practice has required appearances before Courts in other jurisdictions, including Alberta, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Quebec, Ontario and New York.
Luciana teaches class actions to law students at the Allard School of Law (University of British Columbia) with Chelsea D. Hermanson.
Luciana speaks Portuguese fluently, and maintains a membership in the Brazilian Bar Association (Ordem dos Advogados do Brasil), Sao Paulo Chapter. Luciana has a lifelong passion for equestrian pursuits and volunteers with STaRS (Southlands Therapeutic Riding Society), a registered non-profit society that provides therapeutic riding opportunities for persons with disabilities. Luciana shares her Vancouver home with her family and their Rhodesian Ridgeback dogs.
Areas of Practice
- Class Actions
- Admitted to the Alberta bar, 2013
- Admitted to the British Columbia bar, 1999
- LL.B, University of Victoria (British Columbia), 1998
- Bachelor of Civil Law (Juris Doctor), Mackenzie University (Sao Paulo, Brazil), 1994
- “Class Actions Leading Practitioner” – Lexpert Canadian Legal Expert Directory (continuously ranked since 2014)
- “Top 50 Women in Litigation (Canada)” – Benchmark (2020) https://www.branchmacmaster.com/app/uploads/2020/09/Benchmark-2020-Luciana-Brasil-of-Branch-MacMaster-1.pdf
- “Emerging Talent of the Year” – Benchmark Litigation (2016)
- “Future Star” – Benchmark Litigation (2014)
- “Top Litigator to Watch” – Lexpert US Cross Border Litigation Guide (2009)
- Fellow of Litigation Counsel of America (2021)
- Co-author (with Ruby Egit) of “The Honour in Honorarium”, published on BCF Newsletter (Issue 27, March 1, 2021)
- Guest speaker, Ontario Bar Association’s Fireside Chat with Class Actions Bench and Bar, March 10, 2021
- Instructor of Law 435C – Mass Torts and Class Actions Course at Allard School of Law (UBC), Spring 2021
- Panellist, The Advocates’ Society’s Top Cases in Class Action, February 2, 2021
- Panellist at the 2020 Colloque national sur les recourse collectifs – Common Law Update
- Guest Interviewee (with Garth Myers) in Suzanne Chiodo’s Class Actions Podcast – Class Actions Outside ON
- Instructor of Law 435C – Mass Torts and Class Actions Course at Allard School of Law (UBC), Spring 2020
- Panellist at Ontario Bar Association’s Class Action Colloquium, December 3, 2019 – “Frontiers of Class Proceedings”
- Panellist and Moderator at the 2019 Colloque national sur les recourse collectifs – Common Law Update (panelist) and Government and Class Actions (moderator)
- Panellist at the 16th National Symposium on Class Actions (Toronto: Osgoode Hall Law School), April 2019 – “The Greatest Class Action of All Time” Debate
- Instructor of Law 435C – Mass Torts and Class Actions Course at Allard School of Law (UBC), Spring 2019
- Panellist at Ontario Bar Association’s “Costs and Litigation Funding in Class Actions” program, February 6, 2019 – “Costs”
- Co-Chair (with Chelsea Hermanson) and Speaker at Western Canada Class Actions Conference, October 2018
- Panellist at the 2018 Colloque national sur les recourse collectifs – Common Law Update
- Panellist at the Ontario Bar Association’s “Best Practices for Class Action Settlements” program, April 20, 2018
- Co-Chair (with Butler J., as he then was) and panellist (direct and cross-examinations) at CLE’s Civil Litigation Basics Conference, February 22 and 23, 2018
- Instructor of Law 435C – Mass Torts and Class Actions Course at Allard School of Law (UBC), Spring 2018
- Panellist – Ontario Bar Association’s 9th Annual Class Actions Colloquium, December 4, 2017 – reviewing the Bancroft-Snell decision
- Panellist – CLE’s Litigator’s Arsenal Conference, December 2017 – “Cross-Country Class Action Practice”
- Instructor of Law 435C – Mass Torts and Class Actions Course at Allard School of Law (UBC), Spring 2017