Paul Miller is a civil litigator who helps his clients successfully resolve their legal disputes through both negotiation and litigation. Paul joined Branch MacMaster in 2007, after practicing for 8 years with a prominent Seattle law firm.
Paul has broad based experience in the law, with a focus on the firm’s insurance coverage/defence and class action practices. He also has assisted clients in resolving disputes in areas such as construction, product liability, contracts, real estate, employment, and business matters at both the local and national level.
Although he returned to his hometown of Vancouver in 2007, Paul continues to assist U.S. clients as a member of both the B.C. and Washington bars.
- J.D. University of Nebraska (1998) with High Distinction
- University of Nebraska All-University Superior Scholar
- Executive Editor, Nebraska Law Review
- Order of the Coif, Member (invitation to U.S. national legal society based on academic achievement)
- Certificate of Qualification for Canadian Law School Education/Training Equivalency, National Committee on Accreditation at the University of Ottawa
- B.Com. (1990) University of British Columbia, Urban Land Economics/Real Estate
Professional Memberships and Activities
- Admitted to British Columbia Bar, 2007
- Admitted to Washington State Bar, 1998
- Admitted to U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington, 1998
- “Rising Star Lawyer” designation 2002 Washington Law & Politics
- Member, American and Canadian Bar Associations
- Co-author (with Ward Branch), “Securities Class Actions and Secondary Liability in Canada-A New Day Dawning”, Securities Class Action Conference – 2009.
Representative Counsel Work
- Successfully obtained summary judgment dismissal of $30 million claim against client in contract dispute over alleged defective construction/repair services;
- Obtained favorable arbitration verdict defending employee from trade secret and breach of loyalty claim of employer seeking $1.8 million in damages;
- Successfully appealed adverse insurance coverage trial decision to Court of Appeals;
American Best Food, Inc. v. Alea London, Ltd.
- Successfully tried real estate co-tenant dispute and defended appeal to the Court of Appeals;
- Successfully obtained summary judgment regarding beneficiary rights to annuity payments of over $400,000;
- Obtained summary judgment regarding insured’s right to coverage for almost $150,000 in business loss;
Akins Foods, Inc. v. American and Foreign Insurance Co.
- Obtained summary dismissal of employee discrimination lawsuit seeking over $100,000 in damages;
- Regularly defended top Fortune 500 manufacturer in product liability lawsuits;
- Successfully appealed adverse corporate tax determination to Department of Revenue Appeals Division