After undergrad at McGill in Anthropology and Environmental Science, Russell J. Bailey lived in Japan for three years teaching English on the JET Program. He came back to Canada, fell in love with British Columbia and tried to not get too badly hurt in Whistler for a season. Russell decided a change of career was in order and attempted the LSAT. That worked out to an LLB at UBC. His articles and first years of practice were at a plaintiff-oriented firm in Kamloops, Mair Jensen Blair. In 2007, Russell moved back to Vancouver and joined the ranks of Guild Yule LLP working in the insurance defence, municipal law and health law fields.
In November, 2021, Russell joined Branch MacMaster LLP as Associate Counsel. His practice is focused on litigation, insurance defence, health law and working with plaintiff personal injury clients. Russell has appeared at all levels of court in BC, and multiple administrative hearings and has also been a regular volunteer with Access Justice Pro Bono for many years.
When not working hard as a lawyer for his clients, Russell spends as much time as possible with his wife and two kids on family hikes in North Vancouver, bike rides around town and chauffeuring his son and daughter to hiking, hockey, soccer, skiing, ballet and hip hop classes.
Areas of Practice
- Insurance Law
- Health Law
- Commercial Litigation
- Honours Undergrad at McGill in Anthropology and Environmental Science
- LLB UBC Faculty of Law
- Sirak v. Noonward, 2019 BCSC 274
- Parvanta v. Dr. Hearn, 2017 BCSC 280
- Faircrest v. Buchanan, 2015 BCSC 657
- Kern v. Forest, 2010 BCSC 938
- Kruger Products Ltd. v. First Choice Logistics Inc., 2010 BCSC 1242, 2013 BCCA 3
- Strata Plan LMS 2940 v. Quick as a Wink Courier, 2007 BCSC 948, 2010 BCCA 74
Professional Memberships and Activities
- Canadian Bar Association Membership