Susan Precious is a Partner at Branch MacMaster. She practices civil litigation, administrative law and constitutional law for clients in the health, insurance, policing, class action and privacy contexts.
Susan acts for health professionals and health profession colleges in matters dealing with hospital privileges, medical malpractice, College registration, investigation and discipline, scope of practice, and privacy. She acts as independent legal counsel to administrative tribunals. She has also advised private individuals in relation to out of country medical claims and medical clinics in relation to assisted reproduction legal issues. As liability defence counsel, Susan has acted in a variety of personal injury and property damage disputes. Susan advises clients on constitutional issues, particularly in the policing context. She has also acted for plaintiffs and defendants in class actions.
Susan has represented clients before all levels of court as well as before many administrative tribunals including the Health Professions Review Board, the Hospital Appeal Board, the Medical Services Commission, the BC Human Rights Tribunal, the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner of BC, and at the Coroner’s Inquest.
Prior to joining Branch MacMaster in 2007, Susan worked at Stewart McKelvey in Halifax. She also worked in South Africa for three years as the program manager of the AIDS and Human Rights Research Unit at the University of Pretoria, Faculty of Law, and as part of the strategic litigation team at Lawyers for Human Rights.
Susan is fluent in French.
- LL.M. Public International Law, London School of Economics, UK (2002)
- LL.B. Dalhousie University (2001)
- M.A. History, Queens University (1998)
- B.A. Honours History and Political Studies, Mount Allison University (1997)
- College of Chiropractors of BC v. Health Professions Review Board, 2016 BCSC 391
- Strohmaier v. British Columbia (Attorney General), 2015 BCSC 1189
- Jobanputra v. College of Dental Surgeons et al (19 November 2014), Vancouver S141340 (B.C.S.C.)
- Kazemi Estate v. Islamic Republic of Iran, 2014 SCC 62
- Strohmaier v. British Columbia, 2014 BCSC 2078
- Thorburn v. British Columbia (Public Safety and Solicitor General), 2013 BCCA 480
- Thorburn v. British Columbia (Public Safety and Solicitor General), 2012 BCSC 1585
- Blueberry Interim Trust (Re),2012 BCSC 254
- Blueberry Interim Trust (Re),2011 BCSC 769
- Dr. B. v. Vancouver Island Health Authority (Hospital Appeal Board, May 19, 2010)
- Pratt v. Fraser Health Authority (c.o.b. Burnaby Hospital) 2007 BCSC 1731
Professional Memberships and Activities
- Member of Executive Committee of Canadian Bar Association (BC) Health Law Subsection
- Admitted to British Columbia Bar, 2007
- Admitted to Nova Scotia Barristers Society, 2004
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Medical Legal Society of B.C.
- Susan Precious, “What to do with surplus embryos” Creating Families (Summer 2014)
- Co-authored (with Ward Branch), “Strategic Use of Case Management”, (September 21, 2011), CLEBC
- Co-authored (with Ward Branch), “Top Ten Cases from the ROC from the 2007-2008 Class Action Season”, in Troisieme Colloque sur les Recours Collectifs, Actes de la Formation Juridique Permanente 2008 volume 2 (Quebec: Les Editions Yvon Blais Inc., 2008) p.109-129.
- Co-author (with Ward Branch), “Cross Canada Check-up: BC cases from April 2007 to April 2008”, 5th Annual Symposium on Class Actions (Toronto:Osgoode Hall Law School of York University, 2008).
- Co-author (with Dr. Frans Viljoen) A Review of Regional and National Human Rights Based HIV and AIDS Policies and Frameworks in Eastern and Southern Africa, commissioned by the United Nations Development Programme-Regional Service Centre (UNDP) and the Office of the High Commissioner of Human Rights-Southern Africa Regional Office (OHCHR) as part of the OHCHR and UNDP joint initiative on human rights, gender and HIV and AIDS in Southern and Eastern Africa (February 2007)
- Co-author (with Ward Branch), “Intervention: The Need for Aggressive Case Management”, Civil Litigation Conference – 2007.
- Co-editor (with Frans Viljoen) Human Rights under Threat: Four Perspectives on HIV, AIDS and the law in Southern Africa (Pretoria: PULP, 2007).
Volunteer and Community Work
- Susan volunteers her time with the British Columbia Civil Liberties Association